Q4(b). There is a heavy ethical responsibility on public servants because they occupy positions of power, handle huge amounts of public funds, and their decisions have wide-ranging impact on society and environment. What steps have you taken to improve your ethical competence to handle such responsibilities? (150 words)
The public servants bear a heavy responsibility to guide the society towards the ethical path. If public servants are not moral, the nation can’t progress. They must take the following steps to improve their ethical competence:
• Live a simple and honest life that can be easily managed with the government salary.
• Know your job well so that you can use the law to serve the people in the best possible manner.
• Always be fair while exercising your power and authority.
• Be a just person and treat everyone equally before the law.
• Maintain distance from the people with whom you have official dealings to avoid conflict of interest.
• Maintain an image of impeccable honesty by taking quick, fair and lawful decisions
• Do not take any favour from politicians, businessmen or from senior officers so that you can work without any pressure.
• Always be good and compassionate to people, subordinates and public representatives in your interactions. (154 words)
Looking for a One-stop Solution to prepare for ‘Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude’ and ‘Essay and Answer Writing’ for UPSC?
Buy Dr. Awdhesh Singh’s books from the links below-