Q5(a). What do you understand by probity in governance? Based on your understanding of the term, suggest measures for ensuring probity in government. (150 words) (10 marks)
Probity means having strong moral principles and being honest and serving with integrity in public life. Probity is more than simply avoiding corrupt practices. It means actively promoting certain values in public service such as accountability, impartiality, transparency and the rule of law. If the government organizations lack probity, citizens would lose trust in them and good governance would become impossible.
The following measures are suggested for ensuring probity in government.
• Simplification of rules and procedures
• Introduce a formal system of training for inculcating values, ethics and integrity in civil services
• Regular, periodic and surprise checks to detect corrupt practices
• Increase public awareness about their rights of getting government services without corruption
• Simplify the procedure of complaint against corrupt officials
• Whistle blower Act to protect honest officials
• Reduce discretionary powers of officers
• Increase transparency and accountability in governance
• Develop strong regulatory framework to punish corrupt officers
• Functional autonomy to anti-corruption against CBI, CVC
• Effective grievance redressal mechanism
• Stringent punishment for corrupt officers
• Reward to informers for providing information about corruption (169 words)