Growth of Employment
• During the period 1950–2010, Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of India grew positively and was higher than the employment growth.
• During this period, employment grew at the rate of not more than 2%.
• In the late 1990s, the employment growth started declining and reached the level of growth that India had in the early stages of planning.
• The gap between GDP growth and employment started widening and the GDP growth was achieved without increasing employment
• Scholars refer to this phenomenon as jobless growth.