Composition of Infrastructure Requirements
• For low-income countries, basic infrastructure services, like irrigation, transport and power, are more important.
• As economies mature, the share of agriculture in the economy shrinks and more service-related infrastructure is required.
• Gradually, the share of power and telecommunication infrastructure is greater in high-income countries.
Infrastructure and Economic Development
• Development of infrastructure and economic development go hand in hand.
• Agriculture depends, to a considerable extent, on the adequate expansion and development of irrigation facilities.
• Industrial progress depends on the development of power and electricity generation, transport and communications.
• If proper attention is not paid to the development of infrastructure, it is likely to act as a severe constraint on economic development.