• The proportion of poor people is not the same in every state.
• Some states have been able to substantially reduce poverty over years better as compared to others.
• Punjab and Haryana have traditionally succeeded in reducing poverty with the help of high agricultural growth rates.
• Kerala has focused more on human resource development and reduced poverty.
• In West Bengal, land reform measures have helped in reducing poverty.
• In Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu public distribution of food grains could have been responsible for the improvement.
Poverty Ratio in Selected Indian States, 2015–16