Q5(b). Explain the process of resolving ethical dilemmas in public administration. (150 words) 10
An ethical dilemma is a decision-making problem arising between two possible moral imperatives, neither of which is unambiguously acceptable or preferable. The following steps may be taken for the resolution of an ethical dilemma:
1. Analyse the problem in detail to understand its impact on an individual and society.
2. Get the correct facts from different sources by conducting proper investigations. A public servant must not act on rumours or on the basis of heresy or fake news.
3. Once the facts are known, find out the moral and ethical norms that may have been violated. An ethical dilemma arises when two or more ethical principles are conflicting with each other.
4. Thereafter, you must analyse different alternatives which can be used in the given situation.
5. You must then take a decision following the ethical principles that are more important in a given situation and most beneficial.
6. Implement the best decision on ground. (157 words)