Why Urban Employment Figure is low?
• People in rural areas have limited resources to earn a higher income and participate more in the employment market.
• Many do not go to schools, colleges and other training institutions.
• Most of rural population discontinue in the middle to join the workforce; whereas, in urban areas, a considerable section is able to study in various educational institutions.
• Urban people have a variety of employment opportunities due to their better qualifications and skills.
• In rural areas, people cannot stay at home as they are poor.
Why are women not working as men?
• Lack of requisite qualification, knowledge and skill.
• Chances of exploitation and harassment at workplace.
• Where men are able to earn high incomes, families discourage female members from taking up jobs.
• Socially conditioned to take care of the children and family.
Different Types of Employment
• Workers who own and operate an enterprise to earn their livelihood are known as self-employed. About 52% workforce in India belongs to this category.
• The workers employed on daily basis are known as casual wage labourers; they account for 30 per cent of India’s workforce.
• When a worker is engaged by someone or an enterprise and paid his or her wages on a regular basis, they are known as regular salaried employees.
Distribution of Employment by Region